Returnees dismiss allegations, commend DC

IMPHAL, 17th May: Reacting to a social media post alleging DC Senapati Somorjit Salam of violating protocols by allowing entry to some Mumbai returnees that went viral, the Mumbai returnees in question have refuted the allegation while terming it as totally fake and figment of imagination.
The viral post alleged that a certain person among the 36 Mumbai returnees, who seemed to be a close associate of DC Senapati, tried to violate rules at the entry point at Mao. SDO in-charge swiftly reacted and shouted at him. However, the person called the DC and the latter ordered the SDO to allow the passengers to pass through without undergoing thermal screening. Later that day, the DC hosted the passengers at the multi-purpose hall, according to the post.
In a statement made available to The People’s Chronicle, the Mumbai returnees, who are presently staying in a quarantine centre, informed that all of them were screened and they stayed the night in Senapati, courtesy of the DC, as there was no accommodation for them. The DC’s service was a humanitarian one, they said.
The SDO was seemingly in an inebriated condition and after a quarrel with one person during which he used threatening and swearing words, he never came out. No one knows whether any one of them is positive and all were screened before leaving Mumbai. Both the two positive cases were asymptomatic during the multiple instances of screening, the returnees maintained.
The viral post also mentioned that the passengers were seen walking around freely without observing any protocol the next day.
Refuting the allegation, the returnees maintained that they reached around midnight and left the next morning at 6.30. As such the allegations of loitering around and violating guidelines are figment of a fertile imagination, they contended.
The returnees also informed that they arrived at Mao gate on May 13 at 6.15 pm and the cancer patients were screened first. The group leader enquired about pass for entering the police verification counter and the officials asked them to report to IIIT Mantripukhri. As they were not sure if the IIIT would be opened by the time they reached, they approached the OC and SDO with the request for arranging a parking space and food for the night. To their surprise, the SDO started abusing them in the name of violating social distancing norms and started swearing upon them. As they requested him not to use such words, the SDO asked police to arrest the group leader and put him in jail despite repeated requests.
As the SDO was not in a position to provide them any solution, they contacted the DC at around 9.30 pm after enquiring about his phone number. The DC personally came out and provided them help by offering them shelter and food for the night, they added.

© 2016 - 2020 The People's Chronicle. All rights reserved.