Another Covid-19 positive case confirmed in state


IMPHAL, 15th May: Just 24 hours after a Mumbai returnee tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday, another COVID-19 positive case has been confirmed on Friday.
The 21-year old patient, hailing from Skipe village in Kamjong District, worked as a nurse at a hospital in Kolkata. She returned to Imphal via a private bus from Kolkata on May 7 and had been quarantined at NIT, Langol immediately upon her arrival to the state on May 13. Her test results turned out positive for Covid-19 late Friday evening.
Upon confirmation of the woman’s health status, a medical team led by CMO Imphal East shifted her from the quarantine centre to JNIMS, and have commenced treatment.
Meanwhile, health status of the state’s third COVID-19 patient, who arrived at Imphal from Mumbai on May 13, is said to be normal.
However, questions have been raised whether the authorities are at fault over the arrival of a positive case to the state, after it remained COVID free for around three weeks since its last reported a case on April 2.
According to JNIMS authority, the male patient is being treated at the COVID-19 Isolation ward of the hospital and he is responding well to the treatment procedures. Nonetheless, the doctors and nurses are keeping a close watch over him, the hospital authority conveyed.
Nevertheless, many have questioned how the patient was allowed to leave Mumbai for Imphal in the first place, considering his own mother tested positive for COVID-19 on May 1 and later, succumbed to the virus on May 5 in Mumbai. The patient along with his mother had been staying in Mumbai to take care of his father who was undergoing cancer treatment at KEM Hospital, Mumbai.
As per guidelines, the Maharashtra government should have conducted contact tracing of his deceased mother and put him in quarantine. However, no such step was taken up and he continued to tend to his father at the aforementioned hospital. When the patient made a request in writing to the Manipur Home Department for returning to Imphal, the joint secretary (Home) of the Manipur Home Department gave permission on May 6, the day after the death of the patient’s mother.
As such, it has been questioned whether the state home department failed to investigate the history of the patient or of his mother's death prior to giving its permission. Furthermore, if a thorough investigation had been indeed conducted, it is still questionable how the patient and his family were allowed to return to Imphal without undergoing any tests in Mumbai.
The Manipur government has been taking up various steps to bring back natives who are stranded in other states, in addition to adoption and implementation of several stringent measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Manipur. However, concerns have been raised whether the authorities' mistakes could lead to new wave of disease outbreak in the state. Thus, people from various sections of the society had stressed the need for the government and the authorities concerned to conduct thorough screening and tests of all returnees before they enter the state.

© 2016 - 2020 The People's Chronicle. All rights reserved.