One Mumbai returnee tests positive for COVID-19


IMPHAL, 14th May: A 31-year old man from Khomidok Umang Leikai, who arrived in the state from Mumbai, Maharashtra on Wednesday, has tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday.
Subsequent to confirmation of the man’s health status, the government has announced complete cessation of the practice of issuing special permits to people returning from other states with immediate effect.
Minutes after detection of the COVID-19 positive case, the community quarantine centre opened at Jamia Malima Aziz Girls’ School, Khabeisoi, Imphal East has been sealed and declared as a containment zone.
As per order issued by DC Imphal East, the building is completely sealed and any person, institution, or organisation found violating any of the containment measures shall be deemed to have committed an offence punishable under Section 188 of IPC.
The schedule area of the containment zone is paddy field in the name of Najir Ahmed Mia & others in the North; homestead land in the name of Md Hayat Khan in the South; paddy field in the name of Abdul Sattar in the East; and stream of Kongba River in the West, the order added.
According to reports, the man had gone to Mumbai some time ago for the cancer treatment of his father and had been staying at a guesthouse located along Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar road. His mother had tested positive for COVID-19 during their stay and later died at a Mumbai Hospital on May 5.
Subsequently, they booked a private vehicle after his father's treatment was over and four of them arrived at Imphal via Mao Gate. All four reported themselves to IIIT, Mantripukhri around noon Wednesday and were screened at Modern College, Porompat. After the screening, they were tested at JNIMS and then shifted to Jamia Halima Aziz Girls School community quarantine centre in Khabeisoi.
Altogether, eight people are staying in the quarantine centre, including four others who had returned from Delhi.
On Thursday evening, the man’s test result came back positive for COVID-10. Immediately, a team of the state Health Department shifted him to the isolation ward in JNIMS under strict measures and began treating him.
It is learnt that apart from being thermo screened, they were not tested for COVID-19 before departing from Mumbai. On top of this, they were subjected to only thermo-screenings while crossing the borders of all states that they had to pass through to reach Manipur, the reports conveyed.
In connection with these recent developments, JNIMS authority informed that five people were tested on Wednesday, of which the man’s test result came back positive. As soon as his test result came positive, a medical team led by CMO Imphal East shifted him from the quarantine centre to JNIMS and began treatment.
On the other hand, Health Department additional director and spokesperson Dr Khoirom Shashikumar Mangang issued a statement regarding the confirmation of a COVID-19 positive case. He also stated that the patient is currently being treated at the COVID-19 Treatment Block-Isolation Ward of JNIMS and informed that contact tracing and active surveillance in the containment zone have been initiated.
Additional district Rapid Response Teams (RRTs) and surveillance teams have been constituted in all districts including 40 sub-surveillance teams in every district.
The COVID-19 Treatment Blocks in RIMS and JNIMS have also been readied, as part of preparatory arrangements.
The statement then appealed to all returnees to undergo 14-day mandatory quarantine and maintain social distancing so as to curb the spread of the disease in the state.
Altogether36 people including 14 cancer patients, who arrived at Imphal from Mumbai on Thursday, have also been shifted to the quarantine centre set up at RD Wing complex, Lamphelpat.
According to one of the returnees, they hired a private ambulance and a bus and left Mumbai on May 9.
They crossed Mao and reached Senapati late Wednesday evening. They spent the night at a local community hall in Senapati, the arrangement for which was made in an earlier communication with the deputy commissioner of Senapati District. They then set off and arrived at Imphal on Thursday around 10 am, following which they were shifted to the quarantine centre in RD Wing complex.
All 36 were tested for COVID-19 on Thursday and the results are being awaited.
It may be mentioned here that the first COVID-19 positive case was reported from Thangmeiband on March 24. Shortly after, a second case was reported from Lilong on April 2.

© 2016 - 2020 The People's Chronicle. All rights reserved.