Ex-CM demands Govt announce evacuation policy

STAFF REPORTER
IMPHAL, 5th May: Former chief minister O Ibobi has assured of bearing the cost of train fare for migrants from other states who are stranded in Manipur for return journey to their respective home states. He also demanded the government to announce a clear cut policy on evacuating state natives stranded in different parts of the country.
Addressing a press conference at his official residence at Babupara here on Tuesday, Ibobi said that as stated earlier his party is still standing to cooperate with the government without any political differences in the fight against COVID-19 pandemic. As such, the party does not want to politicise the matter and engage in blame game.
However, both Central and state governments seem to have missed a clear cut policy in the fight against the pandemic which created misunderstanding among the people. Though any decision made by the government can be altered or improvised as per need, the situation in the state is more than just the case of developments in the policy, he said.
Very often one can see conflicting orders issued by different officials. One day, the chief secretary will issue an order and on the next day additional chief secretary (home) will issue another in total contradiction of the previous order. As public representatives, MLAs also face questions from the public and such conflicting orders only create more confusion, he observed.
As the Central government did not have any clear cut policy on the evacuation of stranded migrant workers, students and others, AICC president Sonia Gandhi made an assurance to bear the train fare of the migrant workers who are returning to their home states.
Consequent to the statement of Sonia Gandhi, the central government made a swift response by stating that the central government will bear 85 per cent of the train fare and the remaining 15 per cent by state governments. However, the state government has not issued any statement in this regard till date, Ibobi pointed out, while adding that making an announcement will clear the doubts. As per instructions from AICC, Manipur Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) will bear the train fare for the migrant workers stranded in Manipur for their return journey to their home states, he assured, while adding that MPCC will begin a fund drive in this regard soon.
MPCC has assigned different MLAs and party leaders for different districts with whom migrant workers from other states stranded in different districts of Manipur can contact, Ibobi said.
The district wise assigned party leaders are Kh Joykisan (8014485993) for Imphal West; Th Lokeshwar (8787346660) for Imphal East; K Govindas (9436892005, 9560069977) for Bishnupur; K Ranjit (7628054615) for Kakching; K Meghachandra (9862588231, 9436023029) for Thoubal; DD Thaisii (9436035497) for Senapati; D Korungthang (8414017376) for Tengnoupal; Thuijinngam (8974824636) for Tamenglong & Noney; Yamthong Haokip (9436892022) for Kangpokpi; Dr Chaltolien Amo (9366059574) for Churachandpur & Pherzawl; and Alfred Arthur (9612001735) for Ukhrul and Kamjong districts.
He also stressed the need for a policy on evacuating the stranded state natives in different parts of the country and assistance during their home quarantine period to ensure effective quarantine procedure.


© 2016 - 2020 The People's Chronicle. All rights reserved.