Home guards demand hike in duty allowance

STAFF REPORTER
IMPHAL, 22nd June: Demanding hike in their duty allowance, an order for which the Supreme Court had already passed, personnel of Home Guards carried out a sit-in demonstration at Keishampat Lairembi community hall here on Thursday. Later, they also took out a rally. During the protest, Home Guard personnel put on display banners/placards demanding that the government do not discriminate them, uphold their rights, respect directive of the Supreme Court, expedite file process as well as posing whether Rs 5000 monthly allowance they are receiving is justifiable.

Speaking to media persons on the sidelines of the protest demonstration, Home Guard Employees’ Welfare Association secretary Kh Inaobi Devi recalled that the Supreme Court of India passed an order on March 11, 2015 directing the state governments to increase the duty allowances of home guard personnel.

However, government of Manipur has failed to follow the directive of the apex court till date and the home guards have been deprived of their rightful allowances. She further informed that the home guards are also performing duties like other police personnel by being engaged in different government offices and even in the offices of ministers and MLAs. In-spite of such challenging task, home guards are being paid a meagre monthly salary of Rs 5000. This amount is not even enough to meet both ends and as such they suffer a lot.

Inaobi also informed that to effect the increase duty allowance of home guards, 90% of the amount is to be provided by the Centre and remaining 10% by the state government. Moreover, if the need arises, the whole amount will be provided by the central government in the case of north eastern states. A memorandum was submitted to the chief minister in this regard on June 17 but no response has been received so far, she lamented.

After the sit-in, a rally was taken out from Keishampat Lairembi community hall and proceeded towards Wahengbam Leikai and culminated at Lamphel Home Guard complex after passing through Uripok.


© 2016 - 2017 The People's Chronicle. All rights reserved.