Will assist 450 weavers of Wangjing Tentha AC: M Hemanta

CORRESPONDENT
KAKCHING, 17th Oct: Former minister Moirangthem Hemanta has assured that he will provide support to 450 women weavers, embroiderers and tailors of 12 villages of Wangjing Tentha Assembly Constituency under schemes of Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME).
Speaking during a day-long awareness camp on Traditional Embroidery Cluster organised by Wangjing Tentha Farmers’ Development Association (WATEFADEAS) at WATEFADEAS complex, Khongjom on Thursday, M Hemanta who is also the chief functionary of WATEFADEAS, informed that the programme is being organised under the aegis of SFURTI, KVIC, Ministry of MSME.
Hemanta pointed out that WATEFADEAS under the Ministry of MSME has taken up a project with total fund of Rs 1.32 crore, out of which 90 per cent would be provided by the Ministry, while remaining 10 per cent is to be put in by the organisation. The project aims to increase the income of women by providing raw materials to the artisans, giving marketing support and encourage production of traditional handicrafts.
Work has been started for establishing a common facility centre at Khongjom with initial funding of Rs 28 lakh provided by the Union government. The centre will be equipped with imported machines of latest technology by November, he assured.
The programme was also attended by social worker P Ibohal, retired teacher S Meino Singh and Fish Farmer president S Kunjo Singh along with women artisans and weavers from various parts of the constituency.


© 2016 - 2020 The People's Chronicle. All rights reserved.