CM calls for public support in war on drugs

CORRESPONDENT
KAKCHING, 11th Oct: Chief Minister N Biren inaugurated a police outpost at Sora Khunuda Ching in Kakching district and a twin type-II staff quarters at the complex of Thoubal police station on Friday.
Speaking as chief guest at the inauguration of the Sora police outpost, Biren underscored the need for thinking for future and said that the government’s ‘War on Drugs’ is an initiative to save the future generation of the state by curbing drug menace today. So far drugs worth over Rs 1000 crore have been seized and drug manufacturing units busted at Thoubal Moijing and Lilong among others.
So far, the government is getting support from the public, especially CSOs like ALADA and ANJUMAN and the government needs more public support to root out drug menace from the state completely. He then urged the people of Sora to come forward and get actively involved in the anti-drug campaign.
At the same time, one should also find out why the drug peddlers are engaged in the illegal business and if they are doing it out of genuine problems like abject poverty, the government will take up measures to provide them alternative livelihoods, he assured.
Biren maintained that there has been considerable change in the behaviour and conduct of police in the past few years, and people are no more feeling uncomfortable and scared of meeting them.
On the other hand, the state has witnessed constant rise in entrepreneurship movement and upsurge in economic activities because of significant improvement in the law and order situation, he said while adding all these were possible due to the joint dedicated efforts of different security agencies including Manipur Police. Start Up Manipur has helped several entrepreneurs of the state and now the government will soon launch Stand Up scheme to help entrepreneurs from the minorities, OBCs, SCs and STs in the form of loans with grants, he said.
Urging the public to actively participate in CM's Green Manipur Mission, the CM appealed to the people of Sora and adjoining areas to plant trees in nearby hills in consultation with Zilla Parishad members and police.
Reminding that land of the whole state belongs to the government, he asked the people not to fight among themselves because of land.
He further said that Centre would soon provide 20,000 solar street lamps. Centre would bear 90 per cent of the cost while the locality where the solar street lamps are to be installed will bear the remaining 10 per cent. However, the government will convene a meeting to reserve the 10 per cent fund from the local area development funds of the respective MLAs. Besides, the government would also be providing solar lanterns to students at the rate of Rs 60 against the market rate of Rs 450 per lamp, he added.
Education minister Th Radheshyam, who attended the event as guest of honour, said that police force is there to serve the public day and night. However, they often remain in high tension as they are mostly engaged in crimes and violent incidents, he said while seeking public pardon if they sometimes commit minor mistakes.
Though law and order situation has improved and development is taking place in the state, it has also brought along several crimes and police need public support to tackle such crimes, the minister said. He also urged the public not to see police as a separate entity but an integral part of the society and their daily lives. A good society will bring the goodness in the police force, he opined.
Kakching MLA Y Surchandra, who presided over the function, said that the police outpost was constructed there to check illegal trafficking and crimes in the wake of Kakching Lamkhai becoming an important junction. He also urged the Sora residents to contribute their mite in bringing development in the area while stating that government alone cannot bring the development they want.
Tourism Corporation of Manipur Ltd chairman Dr Sapam Ranjan, MLAs Paonam Brojen, L Susindro, K Meghachandra, Md Abdul Nasir, & Th Satyabrata, chief secretary Dr J Suresh Babu and DGP LM Khaute also attended the programme.
Later, the chief minister went to Thoubal police station and inaugurated a twin type-II quarters there.


© 2016 - 2020 The People's Chronicle. All rights reserved.