Tengnoupal district tops in MR vaccination campaign

STAFF REPORTER IMPHAL, 7th Apr: Tengnoupal district has achieved 70 per cent of the target set for measles and rubella (MR) vaccination campaign which was launched on March 26 in the state to eliminate Measles and control Congenital Rubella Syndrome by the year 2020.
Under the campaign, the state government set the target of covering 8.86 lakh children who are between the age of nine months to 15 years. As per available report of the MR Vaccination campaign, Tengnoupal district set the target of covering 13,019 children out of which MR vaccines have been already be given to 10,162 children so far, thus achieving 70 per cent of the target, the highest in the state. Neighbouring Chandel district followed closely with nearly 70 percent as 12,000 out of 17,179 children targeted have been given MR vaccines. Kangpokpi district stood in third position with 66 percent achievement as 39,036 out of the targeted 59,288 children have been covered so far. With 45,000 out of the targeted 75,320 children given the vaccines, Bishnupur district has achieved 60 percent followed by Imphal West district with 51 percent achievement. A total of 1,68,129 children are to be given MR vaccines in Imphal West district and 85,000 children of the district have been vaccinated so far. The target set for Thoubal district was 1,16,168 children and 55,000 of them have been vaccinated, thus registering 48 percent achievement. Altogether 23,000 out of the targeted 48,871 children have been given the vaccine in Ukhrul district, thus achieving 47 percent while Imphal East district has achieved 44 percent with 70,000 out of the target 1,59,039 children given the MR vaccine so far.
Meanwhile, Senapati district has achieved 43 percent with 35,922 out of the targeted 84,200 given the vaccine while 16,000 out of the 41,943 targeted children have been given MR vaccine so far in Tamenglong district. Due to late commencement of the campaign, Churachandpur district could achieve only 20 percent as only 20,000 out of the target of 1,03,427 children have been given the vaccine so far.
In an interview with The People’s Chronicle, State Nodal Officer (Immunization) Dr Nandakishore informed that the first two weeks of the month-long campaign was carried out at schools and the campaign will continue further at community level particularly at Anganwadi centres and health centres.
A mop-up round will be followed after the community level campaign in order to achieve the target of covering 8.86 lakh children, he said, while expressing hope of achieving the target during the month-long campaign.
According to Dr Nandakishore, around 70 percent of 8.86 lakh children will be vaccinated at schools and educational institutions and the remaining 30 percent will be given the same vaccine at community level at Anganwadi and health centres. A little over 6 lakh children are being targeted to be given MR vaccine at 5,000 schools across the state and 4.05 lakh children have been given the vaccine till date, thus registering 63 percent of the target, he said, adding that the Union ministry had so far provided 7 lakh MR vaccines and the remaining vaccines will be delivered to the state when the target reaches 70 percent.
While claiming that the campaign is progressing smoothly and the target could be achieved within the stipulated period, Dr Nandakishore said the Ministry had been informed about shortage of syringe currently faced during the campaign and the department is planning to procure the required syringe from neighbouring states before arrival of the same from the Union ministry.


© 2016 - 2018 The People's Chronicle. All rights reserved.